Mastodon

Featured post

FREE AUDIO BOOK - Bring Her Wolf by Michelle Fox

I’m a wolf with a problem: It’s my birthday and I can't shift. If my wolf doesn't come soon, pack law demands I leave the only home ...

Thursday 26 January 2017

Review: The R.E.M. Effect J.M. Lanham 5 of 5 stars

The R.E.M. Effect The R.E.M. Effect by J.M. Lanham
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This story set in 2021 and starts with three threads that eventually collide together into the dramatic rest of the story.

In the first thread, Paul Freeman has just started working for the world leading company Asteria Pharmaceuticals who have bet the company's future on a new sleeping pill that works in harmony with the human genome to give a perfect 8 hour sleep (please!!!!). In the second thread, self-help guru (I can't help but dislike him for draining people of money they probably can't afford) Donny Ford tells people how to use an ancient meditation technique to control their lives - but sceptics think he has lost his mind and done something very bad. Finally in thread three, journalist Claire Connor is captive in a top secret lab in Costa Rica. She has made two big mistakes - looking for help for her sleep disorder and asking far too many questions. These three threads are about to collide and the result is going to be dramatic, and to a certain extent shocking.

I really liked this story. I feels a big disconnected as you go through each of the threads as part of building the story, but as they start to connect together and the story progresses it all makes sense. The writing was good and the story was told well. There was plenty of suspense and drama as well as twists and turns in the story. There were times when you read about an action and and felt like you were witnessing a car crash as to me it felt obvious that it was not going to go well (but it was still interesting to see how and the result of it not going well). The book definitely finished in such a way that it set things up for the next book in the series.

View all my reviews

Buy from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment